This post contains affiliate links and I may be compensated a tiny bit if you make a purchase after clicking on the links. The Savor Summer College Scholarship winners thank you!
2019 Savor Summer College Scholarship Winner
The 2019 Savor Summer College Scholarship winner has been chosen! Did you apply? Could it be you? Keep reading…
So, I didn’t.
I didn’t pick ONE winner, I picked TWO.
I would like to congratulate the 2019 Savor Summer College Scholarship Winners:
Cristan Gutierrez $500
Addison Stone (Runner-up) $100
Congratulations to both of you and be sure to check your home mailboxes in the next few days for your official letters and follow-up instructions.
If you don’t see your name here, take heart and don’t give up!
Read through what the winners did right and what other applicants did that contributed to their not being selected.
This is what each winner of the 2019 Savor Summer College Scholarship did RIGHT:
- Each essay began with a HOOK. Once I started reading, I didn’t want to stop! (Learn how to write a scholarship essay beginning with a hook, here.)
- Both winners sent their materials in a way that everything arrived neat and orderly.
- I felt like I really got to know these students from their activity resumes, personal touches, and excellent essays.
- I was impressed as soon as I pulled their materials out of the properly sized envelopes and didn’t have to struggle with crumpled paperwork and hard to read information.
Here are my observations from reading the scholarship essays and application materials from students who were not selected:
- Envelopes came with postage-due
- There was an overwhelming amount of applications with missing materials
- Many scholarship applications were not signed by the parent (if under 18) or student (18 and older)
- Handwritten applications and essays
- Essays that were written in one long paragraph, making them difficult to read
- Crumpled application materials stuffed into small envelopes
- Activity/scholarship resumes of 7+ pages
- Letters of recommendation written to “College Admissions Committee…”
- Essays that were written in the form of a letter (“Dear…”)
- Blank spaces in the application and also some came with NO application at all
- Essay word count of under 100 words – The essay is the heart of the scholarship application!
Students, please know that most of these mistakes did not automatically disqualify applicants, but they did significantly lower the overall impression that was made as I read through materials and essays.
Please keep applying for scholarships and don’t give up!
If you are finding yourself on the losing end of all of your hard work, please read this post:
Thank you to everyone who applied for my scholarship. Feel free to email me with any scholarship questions that you may have and find me on Facebook here.
I am here for you! Monica Matthews
If you are serious about winning money for college via scholarships, listen to this mom:
“Using tips from How to Win College Scholarships: A Guide for Parents in 10 Easy Steps, my high school senior secured scholarships to cover tuition, books and fees her first year in college. How exciting! No extra outlay of money for either she or I…her very important freshman year in college…allows her to focus completely on her studies.
Staying organized listed as step #1 in the guide was essential. Completing all the lines and thinking of presentation as if she were acing a job interview helped immensely. Thank you, Monica, for putting together this thorough, inspirational, and amusing guide. It’s a masterpiece and it truly works! If we can do it, so can you!!!” T.R., Happy Mom
And this student:
Monica Matthews is the author of How to Win College Scholarships. She helped her own son win over $100,000 in college scholarships and now shares her expertise with other parents and their students. She truly has “been there, done that” in regard to helping parents and students navigate the scholarship process.
Her method of helping students in finding college scholarships, writing unique and compelling scholarship essays, creating amazing scholarship application packets, and more have taught desperate parents to help their own students win thousands of scholarship dollars. She teaches them how to apply S.M.A.R.T. with outstanding results.
Monica’s scholarship tips have been featured on many prominent websites, and she has been dubbed the “Go-To” expert on college scholarships.