This post contains affiliate links and I may be compensated a tiny bit if you make a purchase after clicking on the links. The Savor Summer College Scholarship winners thank you!
5 Easily Forgotten College Dorm Essentials
College dorm packing lists abound on the internet, and yet there are five items rarely seen on such lists that make move-in day and dorm living easier for today’s students. After moving my three boys to their dorms, I know how important these items are!
1. Scissors – Instead of packing a sharp knife or box cutter, a good pair of scissors can be used for opening boxes, removing tags, and a ton of other uses that arise on move-in day and beyond.
2. Envelopes and stamps – Students think packing these is a hint from mom to write home, but having a few envelopes and stamps will come in handy for the times when something needs to be mailed immediately.
[I know you have a fan on your college dorm packing list, but do you have a WOOZOO fan???]
3. Handwritten letter from parents – This can be tucked under the student’s pillow discreetly on college dorm move-in day. New college students may act tough as mom gets emotional when saying goodbye, but inside they are sad and finding the letter later in the day can warm even the toughest teenage heart.
4. Plastic shelving unit – Floor space is at a premium in most college dorm rooms, so inexpensive shelving like this is a great space saver that can be used for clothing, books, snacks, and of course, framed pictures from home. This type of shelving also can be assembled and taken down easily and will not take up much room in vehicles that are packed to the brim for move-in and move-out days.
5. Under the bed bins – Another space-saving idea, bins that slide under the bed can be an easy and convenient place to store extra school supplies, special treats, textbooks, and clothes for different seasons in every college dorm.
These are great and hardly take up any space when not being used!
Have you moved a student into a college dorm room?
What are your essential items? Share them in the comments section below and let’s do this together!
Be sure to read: 7 College Dorm Packing Lists from the Pros
Have you seen this amazing laundry bag? It comes with detailed washing instructions!
Monica Matthews is the author of How to Win College Scholarships. She helped her own son win over $100,000 in college scholarships and now shares her expertise with other parents and their students. She truly has “been there, done that” in regard to helping parents and students navigate the scholarship process.
Her method of helping students in finding college scholarships, writing unique and compelling scholarship essays, creating amazing scholarship application packets, and more have taught desperate parents to help their own students win thousands of scholarship dollars. She teaches them how to apply S.M.A.R.T. with outstanding results.
Monica’s scholarship tips have been featured on many prominent websites, and she has been dubbed the “Go-To” expert on college scholarships.