This post contains affiliate links and I may be compensated a tiny bit if you make a purchase after clicking on the links. The Savor Summer College Scholarship winners thank you!
5 Most Effective Tactics to Become a College Scholarship Winner
What separates the college scholarship winner from the typical loser?
Find out here how these 5 smart tactics can easily transform scholarship applications!
To continue the S-M-A-R-T method of applying for college scholarships that I began a few weeks ago, today let’s look at the M – Market Yourself.
The competition for college scholarships is fierce, but what most people don’t realize is that the majority of students who apply think that they just need to fill out an application, write a quick essay, and submit their work by the required deadline. DONE, right?
Unfortunately, applying for scholarships in this day and age is not that simple.
To become a college scholarship winner, students need to market themselves wisely and smartly in order for their applications to stand out and get noticed by the judges.
To do this, they need to focus on these tactics:
- Align their writing with the background of the organization offering the scholarship money – The essay for a volunteering scholarship should be written about the student’s community service experiences.
- For a no-essay scholarship or a very short window in the form to fill in with personal details – Include a link to a personal website showcasing the student’s accomplishments
- For a mailed-in scholarship packet – Send information in the requested order, include a cover-sheet and scholarship resume (if additional information is allowed), and mail in an oversized envelope with the correct postage.
- Go over and above for each application – Use the box for “extra information” to share details that are not found anywhere else on the form.
- Always type into an application, NEVER fill-in by hand – Learn how to use pdf to word conversion sites if the application is not able to be typed into.
These are a few of the ways for students to market themselves and allow the judges to clearly see that they are the very best candidate for the scholarship money that is being offered.
Come back next week for A – Answer the Essay Question, to become a college scholarship winner by applying S-M-A-R-T!
You may also like to read: Self-Marketing is the Key to College Admission
Happy parents say it all!
“You know…I haven’t even read much of your book yet, but you have already helped me so much with just a couple of emails.
I am very busy…full-time job and 3 kids! Always pretty stressed! And especially now with all the college preparation, I was really starting to stress, but you have helped me a lot…to settle down, to put things in perspective and to not give up.
I hope God blesses you in this business endeavor–because you are truly doing a good thing for others!” P.H., Texas Parent
Monica Matthews is the author of How to Win College Scholarships. She helped her own son win over $100,000 in college scholarships and now shares her expertise with other parents and their students. She truly has “been there, done that” in regards to helping parents and students navigate the scholarship process.
Her method of helping students in finding college scholarships, writing unique and compelling scholarship essays, creating amazing scholarship application packets and more, have taught desperate parents to help their own students win thousands of scholarship dollars.
Monica’s scholarship tips have been featured on many prominent websites and she has been dubbed the “Go-To” expert on college scholarships.