Heroes’ Legacy College Scholarship
The Heroes’ Legacy College Scholarship awards scholarship money to dependent unmarried students of active duty personnel, retired military members, Reserve/Guard, or survivors of service members who died while on active duty. Applicants must also meet ONE of the following criteria and be under the age of 23.
- One parent died while on active duty on or after September 11, 2001 OR
- One parent became disabled* while on active duty on or after September 11, 2001 OR
- One parent received a permanent and total compensation rating from the Dept. of Defense or Dept. of Veterans Affairs
*Disability guidelines specify the parents qualified for the Traumatic Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance (TSGLI)
Also specified are the following applicant requirements:
- Students must be enrolled, or planning to enroll, in a full-time undergrad degree program in the fall of 2015
- Eligible accredited schools include: U.S. colleges or universities or community colleges
- High school students must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- College students must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Funds must be used for the 2015-2016 school year
- Essay requirement is 500 words or less
- Application due date: March 14, 2015
Winning Tips: If a student is not absolutely sure that they qualify to apply for the Heroes’ Legacy Scholarship, they can submit documentation and send an email to the address found on the scholarship site. Decisions are made on a “case by case” basis, so it pays to be 100% sure before putting in the work for this scholarship. Knowing the background of this scholarship is important and this information can be found here, along with an excellent FAQ section. Using the application checklist found here is vital to ensuring a complete application packet is mailed and no information is left out.
Download the application and get all the details here:
There are very specific application submission tips found in my college scholarship guides that will teach students how to make their application packets stand out and get noticed by the judges. Find out how to get your scholarship guide here.