ONE Simple Rule to Win More College Scholarships
Do you need to win more college scholarships for school? Following this ONE simple rule can be a game changer. Keep reading…
This post contains affiliate links and I may be compensated a tiny bit if you make a purchase after clicking on the links. Thank you for helping fund the Savor Summer College Scholarship!
~ Monica Matthews
Today wraps up my series on applying for college scholarships using the S-M-A-R-T method. Be sure to read and use all 5 tips to help you or your student win more college scholarships.
T = Trusted Eyes
When filling out scholarship applications, writing essays, and arranging required materials to submit or send to organizations offering college scholarship money, students should ALWAYS have at least two pairs of trusted eyes review their work.
- Material that is read several times by the writer becomes very familiar. Our brains begin to fill in missing details because we know what is supposed to be there, but may not catch that it actually isn’t.
- Spell-check will not catch grammar mistakes.
- Grammar-check does not know the point that the student is trying to make.
- Ideas that seem clear to the writer because he or she has lived the details may seem fuzzy to another person and need clarity.
- Lack of proofreading is a major cause of scholarship application rejection.
Students need to utilize trusted eyes belonging to educated and knowledgeable individuals that know and care about the student. The people reading the scholarship work should not attempt to re-write the essay and let the student’s true voice and personality get lost, however, as scholarship judges can easily distinguish between a nicely proofread essay and one that has been written for the student.
Are you or your student applying S-M-A-R-T? Remember, it’s not IF you apply, but HOW you apply that gives students a much better chance of winning college scholarships. My own son was not winning scholarships until I figured out what scholarship judges look for in their winners. We started changing the way he applied and as a result, he won over $100,000 in scholarships and graduated from college debt-free.
You may also like to read: Read, Re-Read, and PROOF-READ College Scholarship Applications
Happy parents like this make my day!
What tips do you have for students trying to win money for school? Please share them in the comments section below!